The EU’s highway robbery

WHERE YOUR MONEY GOES

UK PAYS INTO £55 BILLION EU FUND AND RECEIVES NOTHING FROM IT

UK PAYS FOR ROADS & ‘GREEN AGENDA’ FOR 15 COUNTRIES

The EU has thousands of funds: some small, some more significant. One of the more significant is called the ‘Cohesion Fund’. In the EU’s current 7-year budget from 2014-2020 it is allocated €63.3 billion – approximately £55 billion.

The EU describes it as being:-

“allocated to trans-European transport networks and to projects falling under EU environmental priorities”

In other words it’s spent by qualifying member states on roads, railways, and waterways, as well as projects falling under ‘environment protection, low-carbon economy, and climate change’.

HOW THE EXPENDITURE BREAKS DOWN:-

The ‘Green Agenda’ takes 45% of the total fund, with the remaining 55% being spent on transport and energy infrastructure projects.

WHO GETS THE MONEY?

Despite contributing to the fund, the UK receives nothing at all from it. The fund is in effect a wealth transfer scheme from richer EU countries to poorer ones, ostensibly aimed at standardizing cross-border transport and energy infrastructure. It also advances the EU’s climate change agenda.

The current recipients are the following 15 countries: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Cyprus.

Poland is by far the biggest individual recipient from this £55bn fund, receiving an astonishing 37% of the entire amount.

EXAMPLE OF USE OF FUNDS – Croatian Inland Waterways

The Croatian government says:

“The goal is therefore to improve and restore the inland waterway system in Croatia, in order to make it more attractive and specific in comparison with other modes of transport.”

OBSERVATIONS

We would like to ask you some questions.

Did you know about this fund?

Whether or not you are in favour of a wealth distribution scheme between richer and poorer members of the EU, do you think you should have been asked if you approved?

Whether or not you unconditionally support expenditure on the green agenda, is 45% an appropriate share for this, for such a large fund?

If it is, why should this expenditure be restricted to just 15 member states?

Why does just one country (Poland) receive 36.7% of the total fund?

Do you think the EU should be re-thinking funds like this to see where savings could be made, rather than expecting the UK to continue funding things for which it will get no benefit?

Brexit Facts4EU.Org will continue to shed some light on the many and various ways the EU has been spending the UK’s net contributions over the last 45 years.

[Sources: EU Commission | Croatian gov’t | EU Parliament] 06.55am, 06 May 2018

READERS’ COMMENTS

Name: Thomas, Devon Date/Time: 06 May 2018, 10.05am

Message: So our roads are crowded and full of potholes and yet Poland gets over £20bn to fix theirs and build new ones?

http://facts4eu.org/news.shtml

This post was written by

Leave Your Comment